Saturday, January 29, 2011

God's Gifts

God blesses us with so many gifts; the gifts right in front of us often go unnoticed and/or taken for granted.  I had to good fortune to spend the weekend with a dear friend from back home.  Besides doing a year's worth of catching up in two days, we spent most of the weekend walking on the beach hunting for sharks' teeth.  But besides the pure joy I get from finding them, as well as other cool shells and fossils, I took the time to appreciate the beauty of the ocean, and the miracle of all that God has put on this earth.  I am amazed at the intricate design of the shells, and the beauty of the flowers, and how carefully He created each living thing.  And the gift God gave mankind in having the ability to appreciate the beauty of nature-sights, sounds, and smells.  I could sit on the beach for the rest of my days, just hunting for sharks' teeth, watching the sunset and sunrise, watching the dolphins playing, observing the habits of various kinds of birds, and being mesmerized by the sound of the waves.  I don't think I would ever get tired of just sitting there, marvelling at it all.

Not only has God blessed us with the gift of nature, but He has also blessed us with the people He has put in our lives.  I am so grateful that God has given me some of the best friends a person could ask for-people who know me, understand me, and love me anyway.  He is such a loving God, He is an awesome God!

"Dear Lord, thank you for the gifts that you give to us, your children, and for loving us so much that you have given us the ability to love, and appreciate, and enjoy all that you have put on earth.  And thank you, Lord,  for the people you place in our lives; people we can laugh with, and cry with, and simply enjoy the gift of life together.  I love you and I praise you, Lord, and I am in awe of all that you are, and all that you do.  In Jesus' name, Amen."