Sunday, February 6, 2011

Communion

If someone would have told me 2 months ago that I would look forward to going to church, I would have told them they were off their rocker.  However, today during work, I found myself anticipating the end of my shift and getting ready for church.  I actually couldn’t wait!  Who would have EVER thought?  Even when I did attend church regularly in Indiana, and I enjoyed the service and fellowship, I can’t say that I actually looked forward to it.  And as for reading and studying my Bible, I actually enjoy that too, rather than think of it as a chore, as in times past.
 During the service tonight, we had communion, which I have participated in on multiple occasions, but this time was different.  (As a side note, I have to say that I really appreciated how the pastor explained what was going on and how they did it at this particular church-I have many times felt uncomfortable in not knowing how they did things in a particular church.  It was very much appreciated and helpful to newcomers or visitors.) But for the first time, I was overcome with emotion, and fully understood the meaning of the communion.  It was VERY powerful to grasp the full and true meaning of the practice, and for the first time, I felt like I was worthy to receive communion.  I am so grateful for such a loving God.
“Dear God, I thank you for loving me so much that you have given your only son to give his life for my sins. Thank you for your forgiveness, and for lifting the burden of guilt that I have been weighted down with for so long; thank you for lifting me up, Lord.  Lord, I surrender my will and my life to you and your will.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

No comments: