Saturday, February 26, 2011

Outside Influences

I used to give my sister a hard time because of her convictions about what she would and wouldn't do/watch/listen to.  Now that I have turned my life over to God, I completely understand.  I notice in a HUGE way exactly how outside influences affect my relationship with God.  When I watch a lot of TV or movies that aren't spiritually centered, I find myself losing my focus on the Lord.  In contrast, when I keep the TV off, and listen to Christian radio or music, and read my Bible and other spiritual material, I feel so close to Him, and I stay focused.  

I never understood that until now, and have certainly never experienced or realized the impact of outside influences.  This also holds true of people, places, and things that aren't centered around the Lord.  I am so glad now that I know, and understand, and feel convicted to make changes in my life to reflect my dedication to the Lord.

I decided to give up TV for the month of February, because I realized how much it influences my life.  I have come to realize that TV is actually an addiction for me...I didn't stick with it, so I am giving it up all together for March, at least, and see how it goes.  It is definitely a life changing event to cut out the TV; I don't even know how to eat breakfast without it, lol.  But I am resigned to find a way.

"Lord, help me to stay focused on you and your Word, and help me to avoid letting negative influences into my life.  Help me, Lord, to always put you above all else, and help me to live my life according to your plan.  Thank you, God, for all the amazing things you are doing in my life, and in the lives of those around me. I love you and praise you, Lord.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments: